The most important people in the lives of young children are parents or caregivers. From birth, parents fulfills children’s need and provide them with love and care them to grow and develop healthy and happy. But sometimes parents are unaware of information and support that they need for good parenting.
What is effective parenting?
Effective parenting is the ability to interact and engage with children in such a way that they learn and grow into remarkable adults. Parenting comprises of many different forms, and some parenting practices work well across diverse families and settings. Following are the ways parent can support their child’s healthy development:
- Showing warmth and sensitivity
- Having routines and household rules
- Sharing books and talking with children
- Supporting health and safety
- Using appropriate discipline without harshness
Importance of positive parent-child relationship
The Parent-Child Relationship is the unique bond that every child and parent will embrace. The bond facilitates the physical, emotional and social development of the child. The parent-child relationship lays the foundation for the child’s personality, life choices and overall behaviour. It also influence their social, physical, mental and emotional health.
The adavantages of positive parent-child relationships are:
- Children who have secure and healthy attachment to their parents have a better chance of developing happy and content relationships with others.
- Learns to regulate emotions under stress and in difficult situations.
- Promotes the child’s mental, emotional and language development.
- Helps the child exhibit optimistic and confident social behaviours.
- Healthy parent involvement and intervention in the child’s day-to-day life lay the foundation for better social and academic skills.
- A secure attachment leads to a healthy social, emotional, cognitive, and motivational development.
- Children also gain strong problem-solving skills when they share a positive relationship with their parents/ caregivers.
Here are some simple positive parenting tips that can help to strengthen the parent-child bond-
- Every interaction is an opportunity to connect with the child. Be warm and affectionate in your expressions and encourage interaction.
- Children need structure and guidance therefore have set boundaries, rules and communicate with the children clearly and in an understanding way.
- Acknowledge the child’s feelings, show them your support and reassure that you are there to help them whenever they have problems.
- Be a good role model and help the children in problem-solving. show When you work with your children to find solutions they learn how to deal with difficulties in an appropriate way.
When it comes to a healthy development of child good parenting is more important than a good school. Children do their best when they are helped by their parents in their academics, they can even emphasis the importance of education and can also attend the school events. Basically, parents are the best teachers for every child. They learn moral values, manners, disciplines from their home and therefore the parent-child relationship and home environment plays a significant role. It’s their good upbringing which helps them achieve success in the future.